Southern California Edison (SCE) has decided to permanently shutter its Units 2 and 3 San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station (SONGS) reactors in Southern Cal! Congratulations to all who fought so hard for this great victory! Read the Edison press release. Unit 1 at San Onofre was already shut down.
"This is very good news for the people of Southern California," said [a] statement from Friends of the Earth president Erich Pica. "We have long said that these reactors are too dangerous to operate and now Edison has agreed. The people of California now have the opportunity to move away from the failed promise of dirty and dangerous nuclear power and replace it with the safe and clean energy provided by the sun and wind."
U.S. Rep. Ed Markey (D-MA), who has called upon the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) to investigate safety shortcuts at San Onofre, and has called upon the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) to investigate potential financial improprieties there, has hailed the permanent closure decision as a win for safety and oversight.
U.S. Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA), Chairwoman of the Environment and Public Works Committee which has oversight on NRC, also issued a statement. She joined Rep. Markey in calling for not only an NRC investigation, but also a U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) investigation into potential wrongdoing at San Onofre.
The AP has reported on this story. So have Bloomberg, the LA Times (including a second article), Enformable Nuclear News, Orange County Register, TV 7 San Diego, EcoWatch, CBS, and the Wall Street Journal.
The website Decommission San Onofre has touted the news. And, as EON has said: "CONGRATULATIONS TO SAN CLEMENTE GREEN, SANONOFRESAFETY.ORG, ROSE, FRIENDS OF THE EARTH, FAIREWINDS, WOMENS ENERGY MATTERS, AND ALL WHO HAVE WORKED SO LONG AND HARD FOR THIS DAY! What a great team we’ve all been!"
San Clemente Green has called for a big celebration (11 AM) and press conference (11:30 AM CA time), and invites folks to please join them down in front of the nuclear power plant at 11:00 this morning, (may have to shift to south side of plant if too crowded), with the Media-Press Conference at 11:30. For more info., Contact: Annie Eddey, Senior Account Executive, Olive PR Solutions, Inc., m. 973.449.0921, o. 619.955.5285 x102.
At 12:30 PM Eastern (9:30 AM CA time), FOE and its expert, Arnie Gundersen, Chief Engineer at Fairewinds Associates, held a live press conference on the public beach in front of the San Onofre plant.
Southern CA Edison also held an hour long press conference.
In addition to the compiled media reports above, Roger Herried has compiled these additional media coverage and other reactions:
- Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) - Feinstein Statement on Closure of San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station
- AFP Google - Glitch-hit US nuclear plant shut down for good
- BBC News - San Onofre California nuclear plant to shut
- Capistrano Dispatch - SONGS to Shut Down - Andrea Swayne And Jim Shilander
- CounterPunch - San Onofre is Dead, the Nuclear Waste Isn't - Ace Hoffman
- Edison International - Southern California Edison to Hold Conference Call On San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station
- ENS - California's Damaged San Onofre Nuclear Plant to Be Retired
- FOE - Victory: Edison closes San Onofre for good (updated with press conference)
- Lompoc Record - San Onofre: Gov. says energy plan in the works
- Los Angeles Times - San Onofre nuclear plant closure tied to finances - Abby Sewell
- Los Angeles Times - San Onofre neighbors no longer felt safe, welcome closure - Anh Do
- National Review - Another Blow to Our Nuclear-Powered Future - Ian Tuttle
- NBC Los Angeles - Socal Edison Retiring San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station - R. Stickney
- New York Times - The End Comes for a Troubled California Nuclear Plant - Andrew C. Revkin
- NRDC blog - NRDC Welcomes Southern California Edison's Decision to Retire the San Onofre Nuclear Plant - Matthew Mckinzie
- NukeFree.org - San Onofre is Dead & So is Nuclear Power - Harvey Wasserman
- OC Weekly blog - San Onofre Nuke Plant Officials Say They Did Nothing Wrong--OH REALLY? - Nick Schou
- Platts - SoCal Ed to retire San Onofre nuclear units, blames NRC delays - William Freebairn
- Power Engineering - Both nuclear units at SONGS to be retired
- Reuters - UPDATE 4-California's San Onofre nuclear plant to close for good - Scott Disavino
- Salon - Environmentalists celebrate nuclear plant closing - Gillian Flaccus And Amy Taxin
- SanClemente.Patch - San Onofre Plant Closing a 'Seismic Event in the Nuclear Industry' - Adam Townsend
- SanClemente.Patch - Major Political, Other Leaders React to Nuke Plant's Closure - Penny Arévalo
- SanClemente.Patch - San Clemente Environmentalists Celebrate Closing of SONGS - Penny Arévalo
- San Diego Union-Tribune - Timeline of San Onofre plant's operations
- San Diego Union-Tribune - Seven Things to Know about San Onofre
- San Diego Union-Tribune - Graphic Shows What Went Wrong at San Onofre
- Washington Post - California is closing a huge nuclear plant. So what will replace it? - Brad Plumer
- Washington Post - San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant to Shut Down - Steven Mufson
- World Nuclear News - Regulatory delay closes San Onofre